Canesten 1% Cream – 20g
Canesten 1% Cream (20g) provides external treatment for fungal infections in adults and fungal nappy rashes in children. It contains 1% of the active ingredient Clotrimazole which promotes a healthy pH balance and reduces thrush symptoms of itching and burning.
- Sweat rash
- Jock itch
- Nappy rash
- Vaginal or penile thrush
Out of stock
Like all medications, Canesten cream can have side effects, however not everyone will experience these.
If you or your baby experience an allergic reaction, stop using Canesten cream and tell your doctor straight away or contact the Accident and Emergency Department of your nearest hospital.
Signs of an allergic reaction may include:
After you apply the cream you might experience:
- Swallowing or breathing problems.
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue.
- Weakness, feeling dizzy or faint.
- Itching, rash, blisters, burning, discomfort, swelling, irritation, redness or peeling of skin.
Active ingredient: clotrimazole 1% w/w
Other ingredients: Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Cetyl palmitate, Cetostearyl alcohol, Octyldodecanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Purified water
How to use Canesten cream:
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. If you purchased this product without a prescription, follow these directions closely.
Generally, a minimum of two weeks is required, although up to four weeks may be necessary.
- Before use, pierce the tube seal by inverting the cap over the end of the tube and press.
- If the feet are infected, they should be washed and dried thoroughly, especially between the toes, before applying the cream.
- Canesten cream should be applied thinly and evenly to the affected areas two or three times daily and rubbed in gently.
- A strip of cream (1/2 cm long) is enough to treat an area of about the size of the hand.
- The duration of the treatment depends upon the type of infection.
If you have athlete's foot, it may help to use an antifungal dusting powder as well. The symptoms of skin infection such as itching or soreness, should improve within a few days of treatment although signs such as redness and scaling may take longer to disappear.
If symptoms persist, consult your doctor. Canesten cream is for external use only
If you forget to use Canesten apply the cream as soon as possible, then continue the rest of your treatment as usual. Do not suddenly stop using Canesten as this may cause the same symptoms of the infectins to return.
Do not use Canesten cream:
Important information about some of the ingredients:
- If you (or your baby if treating nappy rash) are allergic (hypersensitive) to clotrimazole or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (please see leaflet enclosed with your medicine), including cetostearyl alcohol, of Canesten cream.
- To treat nail or scalp infections.
This product contains cetostearyl alcohol which may cause local skin irritation (e.g. rash, itching or redness).
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Canesten cream if you are taking any prescribed medicines.
As with other creams, Canesten cream may reduce the effectiveness of rubber contraceptives, such as condoms or diaphragms. Consequently, if you are using this cream on the vulva or penis, you should use alternative precautions for at least five days after using this product.
If you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying for a baby, tell your doctor or midwife before using Canesten cream. If you have informed your doctor or midwife already, follow his/her instructions carefully.